In December 1905 there was a concert held in the temperance Hall to raise funds for the new bacon factory. According to George Cunningham’s booklet Historic Roscrea. It included a showing of the first reel of film shown In Roscrea. The film showed the horse velocity winning the Cambridge Stakes.
The horse was owned and bred by Mr Jim Corcoran of Corcoran’s Hotel (the Pathe and then Damer Court Hotel). In May Mr HV Jackson of Inane House bought the horse from Corcoran as a yearling for £175. When the horse was brought back to Roscrea by train over 5,000 people turned up at the railway station to cheer them. Lead by the Roscrea Fife and drum band the horse and all of its gear were paraded through the town. The town was lit up and tar barrels were lit along the route.
In 1907 he won the City and Surround handicap with jockey Danny Maher and trainer P Peebles. He also went on to win the Grand Prix D’Ostende and after coming second in the Irish Darby in 1908 the jockeys tactics were called in to question after Velocity came from last place. Also in 1908 Jackson retired the horse and put him to stud.
Of his winnings in the Cambridge Stakes Jackson donated some of the money to have an alter built in Kilcoleman church. The stone alter was hand carved by James Pearse who was a renowned stone cutter of the time and specialised in church alters and stone work in many Dublin churches. James Pearse was father to Padraig Pearse one of the leaders of the 1916 rising.